Roy A. Smith, DMD
Dr. Smith was born in Birmingham where he graduated from Banks High School. He attended the United States Naval Academy (Class of 1973), the University of Alabama at Birmingham (B.S., 1976), and the University of Alabama School of Dentistry (D.M.D., 1979). Dr. Smith was asked to join the faculty of the School of Dentistry after graduation and taught there as a tenured Assistant Professor until 1987 when he moved to Vestavia Hills to open a private practice. He continues to teach a course in ethics to junior and senior dental school students at UAB. Dr. Smith has three children, two granddaughters, and a Black Lab named Peyton.
- Dean’s List and Superintendent’s List, US Naval Academy
- Omicron Kappa Delta Leadership Honorary Society
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honorary Society
- Dean’s Medal for Leadership and Scholarship
- Named Outstanding Graduate of the UAB Medical Center selected from the Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Optometry, and Nursing
Offices and Honors
- President, Sophomore-Senior year Dental School Class
- Retired from Navy at rank of Commander
- President, Alabama Chapter U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association
- President, Birmingham District Dental Society
- Board of Trustees, Alabama Dental Association
- Trustee, Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry (International)
- Birmingham District Dental Society
- Alabama Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
- National Association of Photoshop Professionals
- Birmingham Society for the Advancement of Dentistry
- Vestavia Hills Chamber of Commerce
Meet Our Team
The team at Rocky Ridge Dental Associates has been together for many years in supporting Dr. Smith in Vestavia Hills, Alabama. The combined experience of our team is well over 115 years in dentistry. Each team member has been selected carefully and trained expertly to provide you with outstanding dental care and customer service.
Mary—Registered Dental Hygienist
Mary is one of our dental hygienists and has been with us since 1991. She enjoys the relationships she has built with her patients of many years. Mary is a Birmingham native and lives in Helena with her husband, two sons and their dog, Rambo. Nicholas is a student at Marion Military Institute and Jacob is a senior at John Carroll Catholic High School. Mary enjoys reading and exercising.
Julie—Scheduling & Financial Coordinator
Julie has been part of our dental team since 1993. She is originally from New Orleans and now resides in the Oak Mountain area with her husband and their dog, Boudreaux. She has two married daughters, one son and one grandson. Julie loves spending time with family, friends and traveling.
Alice—Registered Dental Hygienist
Alice has been in our dental practice since 1987. Alice continues to care for patients that she has seen since they were children. She resides in Trussville with her husband and their dog, Daisy. She has a married daughter and a granddaughter. Alice enjoys spending time with her family, reading and crafting.
Lauren – Scheduling and Financial Coordinator
Lauren joined our dental team in 2017. She is a Birmingham native and currently resides in Hoover. She has a precious 3 year old daughter that keeps her on her toes. She can be found enjoying any number of events in the Birmingham area. Lauren is a UAB graduate and engaged to be married in August.
Rachel has been part of our dental team since 1992. She and her husband reside in the Oak Mountain area with their three children and their dogs, Pearl and Hank. Rachel can be found watching her sons play sports or spending time with her daughter. She also enjoys going to the beach and exercising.
Karen – Dental Assistant
Karen joined our dental team in 2013. She received her training at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. She resides in Pelham with her husband Larry and their two children and their dog, Domino. She enjoys building relationships with the patients. Karen is a member of Valleydale Church. Outside the office she enjoys spending time with her family and friends at the lake and the beach.