Roy A. Smith, DMD
Dr. Smith was born in Birmingham where he graduated from Banks High School. He attended the United States Naval Academy (Class of 1973), the University of Alabama at Birmingham (B.S., 1976), and the University of Alabama School of Dentistry (D.M.D., 1979). Dr. Smith was asked to join the faculty of the School of Dentistry after graduation and taught there as a tenured Assistant Professor until 1987 when he moved to Vestavia Hills to open a private practice. He continues to teach a course in ethics to junior and senior dental school students at UAB. Dr. Smith has three children, a granddaughter, and a Black Lab named Peyton.
- Dean’s List and Superintendent’s List, US Naval Academy
- Omicron Kappa Delta Leadership Honorary Society
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honorary Society
- Dean’s Medal for Leadership and Scholarship
- Named Outstanding Graduate of the UAB Medical Center selected from the Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Optometry, and Nursing
Offices and Honors
- President, Sophomore-Senior year Dental School Class
- Retired from Navy at rank of Commander
- President, Alabama Chapter U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association
- President, Birmingham District Dental Society
- Board of Trustees, Alabama Dental Association
- Trustee, Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry (International)
- Birmingham District Dental Society
- Alabama Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
- National Association of Photoshop Professionals
- Birmingham Society for the Advancement of Dentistry
- Vestavia Hills Chamber of Commerce
Meet Our Team
The team at Rocky Ridge Dental Associates has been together for many years in supporting Dr. Smith in Vestavia Hills, Alabama. The combined experience of our team is well over 115 years in dentistry. Each team member has been selected carefully and trained expertly to provide you with outstanding dental care and customer service.
Mary—Registered Dental Hygienist
Mary is one of our fantastic dental hygienists in our office and has been with us since 1991. She enjoys the relationships she has built with her patients of many years. Mary is a Birmingham native and lives in Helena with her husband and two sons. She spends most of her free time cheering for her sons at their many sporting events. She also enjoys reading and exercise.
Julie—Scheduling & Financial Coordinator
Julie has been part of our dental team since 1993 as our scheduling and financial coordinator. She and her husband reside in the Oak Mountain area with their dog, Boudreaux. They have two grown daughters and one son at UA. Julie loves spending time with her family. She also enjoys traveling, spending time at the beach, and playing tennis.
Alice—Registered Dental Hygienist
Alice has been in our dental practice since 1987 as one of our highly skilled hygienists. Alice continues to care for patients that she has seen since they were children. She resides in Trussville with her husband and their dog, Max. They have a daughter who is a student at Auburn University. Alice enjoys spending time with her family, reading, and crafting.
Rachel has been part of our dental team since 1992 as one of Dr. Smith’s exceptional assistants. She and her husband reside in the Oak Mountain area with their three children. When she is not chasing her youngest child around, Rachel can be found watching her son play baseball or her daughter cheer. Rachel also enjoys going to the beach and exercising.